Skip to main content

Train excerpts: कुछ खट्टी कुछ मीठी यादें

Train excerpts

My college friend, Amarinder Arora recently posted this on facebook.

"Recently, while travelling in the sleeper class coach of a train, I overheard this old man humming the following to (and for) his wife-
"फूल सी झलक एक दिखलादे मुझको
दिल मेरा खुलके झूमे,
कुछ खट्टी कुछ मीठी यादें,
सब मॅन में पिरो के सो लूँ"

One photograph  instantaneously came in my mind,





























I was once traveling from Bhopal to Delhi in Bhopal express. This journey was different. This time I was alone, no collegemate along. I woke up early. The sun was rising, spreading straight golden light parallel to the horizon. I saw this old lady sleeping. Her husband was awake and was just staring at her. His eyes were reflecting the sense of love and compassion he had for her.It looked as if he was remembering all the good time he had spent with her and how lucky he was to have her, and how he never wanted to lose her. I took out my camera, asked him if I could take a picture of her. He nodded and went back to his thoughts.

Comments

Incognita said…
This post is so affirming!
AA said…
Oh! :')
This is something really quite similar.:)
Nipun Prabhakar said…
Yes it is, so soothing .

Popular posts from this blog

Doors of Kathmandu

The most versatile piece in a building, [the door] has been a mode of expression [for] ages. The door in apartments and modern societies is just a mode of a transition from outside to inside. In traditional cities and neighborhoods, like that of Kathmandu, it’s much more than that. It’s the place where people spend most of their time. Sitting at the Chaukhat, socializing and chatting. The door is not just a tangible unit, it’s the respect you give to your building. Below are the photos I clicked during my site visits and explorations in and around Kathmandu, Nepal. The collection will keep on updating.  Update: A wonderful poem by my ex-professor, mentor and friend, Saurabh Tewari द्वार नहीं हैं ये बस लकड़ी के। सदियों से चल रही संस्कृति के। बस रंग नहीं हैं, अभिकल्प नहीं हैं, प्रमाण हैं ये नेपाल की हस्ती के।  नेपाल के दरवाज़े देखिए, निपुण प्रभाकर की आँखो से। There is a tradition of offering prayers at the door every morning. The two red dots are the

Hunnariya Memoriya, The story of my internship.

Prologue:  “ I have not slept for more than 6 hours since the time I started my internship. There have been times when I haven't slept at all. Everyday is a beautiful day here. There is no unproductive or bad day at Hunnarshala. I sleep less because I am always so excited and enthusiastic for the next day to come, the next day with challenges, adventure and something new to look forward to. ” I am Nipun, a student of architecture. What you are going to read is the  story  of six months that changed my life. Hunnarshala  is a not for profit company based in Bhuj, Gujarat. It mostly works in the fields of disaster rehabilitation, housing for poor, and social architecture. It is very specific about the use of sustainable and eco-friendly designs and materials in its projects. The involvement of the users and the knowledge of communities is paramount in its designs. I was going to Spain for my internship for six months but my visa got rejected. Around the same time, I got

The foot print investigators (Paggis) of India

I met three old men for an assignment today. They have a very special skill which has almost died. They say,  that there are only 4 or 5 Paggis are left in  Kachchh  today. Paggis are men who identify the footprints of People and animals and get information about them. They help people, police and even army in investigating the foot traces of terrorists, thieves, lost cattle etc. I went to their village with Naeven Bhai, the driver of Sehjeevan who knew them well. This meeting was one of the best one since a long time. I had only a few hours to cover their story and come out with a photo essay. With a lot of curiosity, I bombarded them with many questions. A crux of what came out is below: They belong to the Sodha community of Sindh, Pakistan. In 1971, during the India Pakistan war, they crossed the border and took refuge in India, in Kachchh. They were eventually given special 'Paggi certificates' by the police and also once invited by the police and the Intellig