Skip to main content

Remembering my grandfather

Today I want to write briefly about my late grandfather, S. K. Prabhakar, as I have come to know him.

Daddy, as all of us called him, was the most well-read and upright member of the family. I could not spend much time with him, at least from what I can recall. When he died in 2001, I was only 7 years old. I have a very sketchy memory of him.

He was an army man. After his retirement from the services, he started learning homoeopathy on his own. Everybody, especially my grandmom, tells me that he was like me. Earlier, I couldn't understand why they said so. I was too young to comprehend.

I actually got to know and understand him better after his death, when I was given access to his room.

His room was a treasure chamber. It had a lot of books, mostly on Homoeopathy, Stock market and Self-help. The latter was something I was most interested in. The self-help section had all the bestsellers of his time. So, later on, whenever I would visit my grandmom, the first thing I'd do was to check out his room. I always believed that his room, especially his books, had his soul. The underlined parts, the marked paragraphs, the scribbled notes and the lottery tickets in his books, all had some instances of him. The interesting thing was that Daddy never won a lottery in his life, but you'd find a ticket in each book he ever owned.

After I was able to go through most of his books, I started digging deeper. I got to see his files and stationery bags and miscellaneous boxes. Everything was special and unique in some way. There were hundreds of newspaper clippings, fact notes and poetry inside the files. The stationery bags were full of old multicoloured pens with multiple nibs, papers with graphs & dots on them,  notepads from his army days and sticky notes with Urdu scribblings on them. Yes, Daddy could read and write in Urdu and was the only one in the family to be able to do so. My grand mon tells me that he used to write secret things in Urdu. I tried taking those scribblings to a friend who understood Urdu, unfortunately she too could not decipher most of the text.

Later on, I got access to his diaries. Most of them were half finished, scribbled with words in Urdu and English. There were notes on life, health, dates and what-not. I took one of his half-filled diaries and made it my own. If he was alive, he'd never let me have it. I started using that diary to write stuff and used it till 2011 until it became too heavy for me to carry all along in college.

After all this, came the real treasure. Deep into Daddy's stuff, I got to see what an interesting photographer he was. There were some old photographs that he took. Everyone in the family had some memory of him photographing an important event in the family. I was told he always carried his camera along and was never shy taking photographs of family. The most shared instance was that of the death of his younger sister who died at a young age and how he made it a point that she needed to be photographed one last time. Taking photographs during a funeral was a social stigma at that time since it was a very emotional moment, however Daddy thought it important to keep it as the last memory of his sister. What I admired the most were the black and white photographs that he took. There is a sense of natural composition and asthetics in them.

For many years I dreamt of him. Every time in the dreams I was convinced that he was not dead, and that he had just gone out for some time and was back now. Also, I'd tell him all that was happening in my life, show him my sketches, photographs and he'd give his opinion. I think, at times I deliberalty tried to not wake up just so that I could extend my dreams as I knew he would vanish as soon as I was up. Maybe that was my brain making up his personality, an illusion of him, through my exposure of the possessions, writings, through the stories of him that my grandmom narrates, and his collection of music cassettes.

I miss those dreams at times.

Today is his birthday.


Second from top left.


The last photo of  Daddy's younger sister.

I was told that he asked all the villagers to collect the skulls of post-partition victims and pose with them so that he could take a photograph. Need to know more about the incident.  




Comments

Unknown said…
Well said and written Nipun. Daddy must be very happy to see from wherever he is and showering his blessings on you. Great job.
Unknown said…
His archives are really amazing. Thank you Nipun for putting them up with your writing. Good job :)

Popular posts from this blog

Doors of Kathmandu

The most versatile piece in a building, [the door] has been a mode of expression [for] ages. The door in apartments and modern societies is just a mode of a transition from outside to inside. In traditional cities and neighborhoods, like that of Kathmandu, it’s much more than that. It’s the place where people spend most of their time. Sitting at the Chaukhat, socializing and chatting. The door is not just a tangible unit, it’s the respect you give to your building. Below are the photos I clicked during my site visits and explorations in and around Kathmandu, Nepal. The collection will keep on updating.  Update: A wonderful poem by my ex-professor, mentor and friend, Saurabh Tewari द्वार नहीं हैं ये बस लकड़ी के। सदियों से चल रही संस्कृति के। बस रंग नहीं हैं, अभिकल्प नहीं हैं, प्रमाण हैं ये नेपाल की हस्ती के।  नेपाल के दरवाज़े देखिए, निपुण प्रभाकर की आँखो से। There is a tradition of offering prayers at the door every morning. The two red dots are the

Hunnariya Memoriya, The story of my internship.

Prologue:  “ I have not slept for more than 6 hours since the time I started my internship. There have been times when I haven't slept at all. Everyday is a beautiful day here. There is no unproductive or bad day at Hunnarshala. I sleep less because I am always so excited and enthusiastic for the next day to come, the next day with challenges, adventure and something new to look forward to. ” I am Nipun, a student of architecture. What you are going to read is the  story  of six months that changed my life. Hunnarshala  is a not for profit company based in Bhuj, Gujarat. It mostly works in the fields of disaster rehabilitation, housing for poor, and social architecture. It is very specific about the use of sustainable and eco-friendly designs and materials in its projects. The involvement of the users and the knowledge of communities is paramount in its designs. I was going to Spain for my internship for six months but my visa got rejected. Around the same time, I got

The foot print investigators (Paggis) of India

I met three old men for an assignment today. They have a very special skill which has almost died. They say,  that there are only 4 or 5 Paggis are left in  Kachchh  today. Paggis are men who identify the footprints of People and animals and get information about them. They help people, police and even army in investigating the foot traces of terrorists, thieves, lost cattle etc. I went to their village with Naeven Bhai, the driver of Sehjeevan who knew them well. This meeting was one of the best one since a long time. I had only a few hours to cover their story and come out with a photo essay. With a lot of curiosity, I bombarded them with many questions. A crux of what came out is below: They belong to the Sodha community of Sindh, Pakistan. In 1971, during the India Pakistan war, they crossed the border and took refuge in India, in Kachchh. They were eventually given special 'Paggi certificates' by the police and also once invited by the police and the Intellig