Skip to main content

Nepal's Watermill


It was a sudden surprise, the water mill.

I had never seen one before. Water mills have been in existence since a long long time. They use the flowing water to grind the grains using two stone sills. In most of the places, it's a community driven system. The community builds it and maintains it. In return, the users keep some amount of flour as a contribution.

According to Nepal times, 'There are an estimated 30,000 water mills all over Nepal, traditionally used in villages to grind grain.'  Today, a master artisan, Malaram ji was with us. He had rebuilt a similar community driven water mill once in Uttrakhand, India. He showed us how this worked. Believe me, it was awesome! I wish to study more about it now.

The water is channelised through a small canal. The flow is controlled by a small check-dam. As soon as the flow becomes sufficient to rotate the turbine below the stone sill, it needs a small push and the mill starts! check out the videos and the photos.


The water channel flowing below the mill. Just after the granary, there is a small wooden pin used to control the speed of the turbine depending on the size of the grain. As told by Malaram ji. 

Malaram ji opening the small check-dam.


Small beautiful handmade tools. 







When the check-dam is closed again.


If you know more about it, I would love to hear it from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doors of Kathmandu

The most versatile piece in a building, [the door] has been a mode of expression [for] ages. The door in apartments and modern societies is just a mode of a transition from outside to inside. In traditional cities and neighborhoods, like that of Kathmandu, it’s much more than that. It’s the place where people spend most of their time. Sitting at the Chaukhat, socializing and chatting. The door is not just a tangible unit, it’s the respect you give to your building. Below are the photos I clicked during my site visits and explorations in and around Kathmandu, Nepal. The collection will keep on updating.  Update: A wonderful poem by my ex-professor, mentor and friend, Saurabh Tewari द्वार नहीं हैं ये बस लकड़ी के। सदियों से चल रही संस्कृति के। बस रंग नहीं हैं, अभिकल्प नहीं हैं, प्रमाण हैं ये नेपाल की हस्ती के।  नेपाल के दरवाज़े देखिए, निपुण प्रभाकर की आँखो से। There is a tradition of offering prayers at the door every morning. The two red dots are the

Hunnariya Memoriya, The story of my internship.

Prologue:  “ I have not slept for more than 6 hours since the time I started my internship. There have been times when I haven't slept at all. Everyday is a beautiful day here. There is no unproductive or bad day at Hunnarshala. I sleep less because I am always so excited and enthusiastic for the next day to come, the next day with challenges, adventure and something new to look forward to. ” I am Nipun, a student of architecture. What you are going to read is the  story  of six months that changed my life. Hunnarshala  is a not for profit company based in Bhuj, Gujarat. It mostly works in the fields of disaster rehabilitation, housing for poor, and social architecture. It is very specific about the use of sustainable and eco-friendly designs and materials in its projects. The involvement of the users and the knowledge of communities is paramount in its designs. I was going to Spain for my internship for six months but my visa got rejected. Around the same time, I got

Train excerpts: कुछ खट्टी कुछ मीठी यादें

Train excerpts My college friend, Amarinder Arora recently posted this on facebook. "Recently, while travelling in the sleeper class coach of a train, I overheard this old man humming the following to (and for) his wife- "फूल सी झलक एक दिखलादे मुझको दिल मेरा खुलके झूमे, कुछ खट्टी कुछ मीठी यादें, सब मॅन में पिरो के सो लूँ" One photograph  instantaneously came in my mind, I was once traveling from Bhopal to Delhi in Bhopal express. This journey was different. This time I was alone, no collegemate along. I woke up early. The sun was rising, spreading straight golden light parallel to the horizon. I saw this old lady sleeping. Her husband was awake and was just staring at her. His eyes were reflecting the sense of love and compassion he had for her.It looked as if he was remembering all the good time he had spent with her and how lucky he was to have her, and how he never wanted to lose her. I took out my camera, asked him if I could ta