Skip to main content

For the aspiring architecture student

I was asked by The Futurist blog to write about my journey through college and work so far. Here it is.




I have been blessed with great mentors who gave me direction and taught me dedication. I also believe that if we believe in something, we get it.Coming into architecture was not planned in advance.Tandon uncle, a family friend, told mom when I was a kid and liked to play with plastic blocks and random stones that her son was going to be an architect.

That prediction for long was forgotten. Like the usual science student living in Delhi and NCR, I also took a two-year coaching program for IIT. That coaching could not anything about the IIT-JEE exam but acquainted me to the beautiful city of Delhi. For one year I explored the city on every Saturday and Sunday, 10 to 5. In the later half of the year when the board exams were approaching, I realized that I cannot solve sums my whole life. I wanted to draw, I wanted to know different cultures, meet interesting people, observe interesting buildings, write, talk, sketch, reflect, Design. I wanted to do architecture. No one in the family was an architect, not even closely related to any. My cousin Pooja didi told me that her friend was giving coaching classed for architecture. So I joined the Futurist after my board exams for a crash course.

The environment was very good and competitive. The fellow students were very much aware of the architecture scene in the country and about the good colleges, one can aim for. I was a novice in that direction. I learned a lot from them and many of them later became my good friends and batchmates in SPA Bhopal. Priyanka ma'am was a really cool mentor and I had no hesitation in asking her stupid questions. We were taught to crack NATA and AIEEE. The study material they gave was helpful and it also created a base for my further architecture studies. The architecture aptitude classes provided a good knowledge bank for my further architecture studies in college. While I was into the first year, most of the things in the course were already taught in futurist classes.

I got into SPA Bhopal with most of my fellow batchmates I had no idea that it was a very new college and had no campus of its own. That was a setback but turned out to be very positive for me. But the difference of a National college was clearly visible. I had batchmates from almost every state in the country. During our initial days, we learned a lot about each other’s culture, food, and of course, abuses. The college, establishing itself in the booming field of architecture education gave us a lot of freedom to do what we wanted. We worked hard to start a lot of things together. We started photography clubs, did the first photography exhibition, ‘perception’, started art activities, and were also involved in various architecture competitions. We had to prove ourselves to the world and we did. My batchmate Sukruti and me won the International Berkeley essay award organized by UCB. We were lucky to be guided by wonderful mentors like Rachna Khare ma’am, Saurabh Tewari sir, and Supriya Kukreja ma’am.

Vacations gave us time to do something we couldn’t do during the college. Some did internships in architecture offices, some learned pottery, I interned with the Hindustan times in Delhi in photojournalism. Photography was a passion apart from architecture to which I was deeply committed to. That internship gave me good lessons in telling stories with the photographs. I also met one of my greatest mentors, Gurinder Osan sir. His excellent way of teaching and beautiful photographs gave me a lot of inspiration.

My another major point during college was when I did my internship in Hunnarshala Foundation, Bhuj. It offer came at the time when my visa for Spain was rejected at the last moment. I met many people there who were making dreams and building them on the ground.


There, I met my other greatest guru, Sandeep Bhai. His humbleness and grounded knowledge formed the basis of my stint with the architecture emerging from the ground. I met two super duper energetic co-workers, Tapas and Bhawna who are now among my closest friends.

I would say I was most dedicated and committed to architecture when I came to my final year. My internship had opened me to what architecture from the ground was.That was the time when I met Saurabh Popli sir, who later decided to be my mentor for the thesis. His guidence and positivity molded me and gave me a, the confused spirit, a direction. I am proud to tell, that I not only topped my thesis but also won 2 National and one international award.


For the aspiring students of architecture, If you feel like doing architecture, do it! Don’t hold yourself, don’t come under your friends or family pressure. Architecture is a booming field. It opens you up and exposes you to a wide range of other fields as well. You are not just limited to architecture for further studies. Many of my batchmates and seniors later joined the army, became artists, project managers, graphic designers, travel photographers, journalists, writers, UI designers, planners, etc. Do what you feel is right for you in this moment of time and let the life take its course because it always does good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doors of Kathmandu

The most versatile piece in a building, [the door] has been a mode of expression [for] ages. The door in apartments and modern societies is just a mode of a transition from outside to inside. In traditional cities and neighborhoods, like that of Kathmandu, it’s much more than that. It’s the place where people spend most of their time. Sitting at the Chaukhat, socializing and chatting. The door is not just a tangible unit, it’s the respect you give to your building. Below are the photos I clicked during my site visits and explorations in and around Kathmandu, Nepal. The collection will keep on updating.  Update: A wonderful poem by my ex-professor, mentor and friend, Saurabh Tewari द्वार नहीं हैं ये बस लकड़ी के। सदियों से चल रही संस्कृति के। बस रंग नहीं हैं, अभिकल्प नहीं हैं, प्रमाण हैं ये नेपाल की हस्ती के।  नेपाल के दरवाज़े देखिए, निपुण प्रभाकर की आँखो से। There is a tradition of offering prayers at the door every morning. The two red dots are the

Hunnariya Memoriya, The story of my internship.

Prologue:  “ I have not slept for more than 6 hours since the time I started my internship. There have been times when I haven't slept at all. Everyday is a beautiful day here. There is no unproductive or bad day at Hunnarshala. I sleep less because I am always so excited and enthusiastic for the next day to come, the next day with challenges, adventure and something new to look forward to. ” I am Nipun, a student of architecture. What you are going to read is the  story  of six months that changed my life. Hunnarshala  is a not for profit company based in Bhuj, Gujarat. It mostly works in the fields of disaster rehabilitation, housing for poor, and social architecture. It is very specific about the use of sustainable and eco-friendly designs and materials in its projects. The involvement of the users and the knowledge of communities is paramount in its designs. I was going to Spain for my internship for six months but my visa got rejected. Around the same time, I got

The foot print investigators (Paggis) of India

I met three old men for an assignment today. They have a very special skill which has almost died. They say,  that there are only 4 or 5 Paggis are left in  Kachchh  today. Paggis are men who identify the footprints of People and animals and get information about them. They help people, police and even army in investigating the foot traces of terrorists, thieves, lost cattle etc. I went to their village with Naeven Bhai, the driver of Sehjeevan who knew them well. This meeting was one of the best one since a long time. I had only a few hours to cover their story and come out with a photo essay. With a lot of curiosity, I bombarded them with many questions. A crux of what came out is below: They belong to the Sodha community of Sindh, Pakistan. In 1971, during the India Pakistan war, they crossed the border and took refuge in India, in Kachchh. They were eventually given special 'Paggi certificates' by the police and also once invited by the police and the Intellig